According to the Ministry of Social and Health Development , 70% of first-graders are relatively healthy at the beginning of school, while almost half of adolescents who receive a matriculation certificate suffer from chronic diseases. It is clear from these statistics that the health of children in school often deteriorates. However, many diseases can be avoided if prevention is started in a timely manner and the child’s lifestyle changes.
Why schoolchildren have poor health
From the very first days of school, kids may have not four, but five or six lessons. It takes at least 1.5 hours to complete homework in elementary and basic schools, and sometimes the whole evening. It is especially difficult for students of lyceums and gymnasiums, where the “working day” can be longer than for many adults. In fact, school takes up all their free time: children study for 12-14 hours, then go to play music or to the sports section, do their homework at home and go to bed completely exhausted. Schoolchildren do not have the opportunity to normally rest, walk, communicate with friends, which leads to chronic fatigue syndrome. Obviously, excessive intellectual stress is harmful to the health of children.
Due to physical inactivity
According to the calculations of physiologists and pediatricians, in elementary and basic schools, the activity deficit in children reaches 30-40%, and in high school students – already 80%. On average, the total class time, including the duration of lessons, electives and homework, is more than 9 hours. Coming home, many children spend about two hours at the computer or in front of the TV. Thus, the student’s body is motionless for almost half a day – at least 11 hours. As a result, the child develops such health problems as overweight, pathological changes in posture, decreased immunity, etc.
Due to stress
The deterioration of the health of children at school is associated with an overload of the nervous system due to lack of time. The child is constantly in a hurry: waiting for the end of the lesson, weekends, vacations, etc. All this leads to chronic emotional stress. In addition, school is a special social environment in which it is not always easy for an impressionable, impulsive or insecure kid or teenager to be. Conflicts with teachers and classmates most often lead to stress. Emotional overload undermines both the mental and physical health of children.
What diseases appear in children at school
- The reasons. School-aged children often suffer from myopia, astigmatism and hyperopia. The causes of diseases are excessive stress on the visual organs at school and at home when doing lessons, frequent computer sessions, and uncontrolled watching of TV programs.
- Prevention methods. To maintain the health of children’s eyes, do visual exercises with your child regularly. Place a good desk lamp on the table so that the light shines from the left. From the first grade, teach your baby that the distance between the eyes and a book or notebook should be at least 40 cm.If a child is asked to do homework on a computer at school, keep in mind that ophthalmologists do not recommend that children spend more than half an hour a day at the monitor.
Disorders in the gastrointestinal tract – gastritis
- The reasons. Children who are under significant intellectual and emotional stress, but prefer not to eat lunch at school or snack on buns and chips, can develop gastritis. The reason for this is improper and irregular nutrition.
- Prevention methods. Teach your child to eat well, not only at home, but also at school. Homemade food should be the basis of the children’s diet, so you should not give your child soda and fast food with you. Do not forget that smoked, fatty, fried and peppered foods are not at all useful for the baby’s health.
Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- The reasons. Schoolchildren often suffer from scoliosis, lordosis, kyphosis and other posture disorders. Health problems can be associated with improper seating at a desk at school and at a desk at home, carrying heavy bags (especially on one shoulder), lack of physical activity.
- Prevention methods. Parents need to make sure that the child does not hunch over when walking, does not lower his head and does not protrude his stomach forward. When sitting on a chair, your feet should be completely flat on the floor and your back should be supported. The writing table at which the child does his homework should be 20-30 cm above the elbow of the lowered hand. Do not allow the student to do their homework on the couch or chair, as this will create incorrect posture.
- The reasons. School often becomes a real breeding ground for infections. Stuffy classrooms and corridors are rarely ventilated, which creates an optimal environment for the spread of viruses and bacteria. Many parents send toddlers and teenagers to school even if they have a cough or runny nose, so the infection spreads very quickly.
- Prevention methods. To preserve the health of the child, it is necessary to teach him to regularly wash his hands with soap, and in the absence of such an opportunity, to use antibacterial wipes or gels. In the cold season, give the student more fresh vegetables and fruits or children’s vitamin complexes. Do not force your child to go to school if they have a runny nose, sore throat, or other respiratory symptoms.
What activities will help keep children healthy
Dynamic pauses . Necessary to strengthen and maintain the health of the child’s body. Conducted during lessons, take 2 to 5 minutes. Physical culture breaks are used as babies get tired. Classes include eye exercises and breathing exercises.
Outdoor games . Necessary for the prevention of physical inactivity, stress relief. Outdoor games are usually held in the gym or in the courtyard of the school during physical education class. They are selected in accordance with the age and state of health of the students.
Relaxation. Exercise is essential to strengthen and maintain the mental health of babies. Relaxation exercises are usually done in a school psychologist’s office. For relaxation, classical music and sounds of nature are used.