From the first days of life, children have a certain temperament, while they absorb information from the surrounding society and form their own model of behavior. The development of the child, its efficiency and speed, directly depends on the parents, but the individual characteristics of the child are also important . The ability to concentrate and be attentive is essential to a proper learning process. Some children, having a calm temperament, learn with ease, while for others it is a real torment.
Energetic and restless children find it difficult to sit through a whole lesson, concentrating on the necessary topic. But this does not mean that it is necessary to put an end to the quality development of the child. This means that it will be a little more difficult for him than for the rest of the children to study qualitatively if he is not helped in time. Parents can make it easier to adapt by instilling concentration and perseverance habits.
Simple activity or health impairment?
Children should not be confused with hyperactivity. A hyperactive child is not just an overly energetic toddler. Hyperactivity is a symptom in which nerve impulses appear faster in the cerebral cortex. These impulses prevent the child from concentrating, falling asleep, concentrating on something important, and switching quickly from hysteria. How to distinguish the individual characteristics of a child from signs of hyperactivity?
Signs of hyperactivity in children
It is difficult for an ordinary person without a medical education to recognize the framework of a bright temperament behind which children’s hyperactivity is hidden. Only a neuropathologist can diagnose signs of hyperactivity. Let’s consider some criteria, the presence of which in your children may be a reason for contacting a specialist for consultation.
- Such children develop physically faster than their peers, they learn to roll over, stand up and walk earlier .
- The developmental features of children do not allow them to sleep peacefully; when it comes time to go to sleep, they become more active and capricious.
- Such children are much more awake from birth. They can spend about 5 hours in a state of cheerfulness or crying; their peers sleep twice as much.
- Changing landscapes, people, loud sounds delight the baby or provoke prolonged tantrums. He is uneasy about the change of scenery.
- The child too quickly switches his attention from one subject to another, he cannot keep his concentration on one thing for a long time.
- Such children are too attached to the mother, they are jealous of her and react rather painfully to her contact with strangers. They are afraid of strangers, it is difficult to get along (conflict) with guests in the house.
Not all signs of a child’s hyperactivity are listed here, and they are not unconditional. The presence of all these signs should convince you to take a closer look at the baby and be examined by a neurologist to check his health.
Features of a temperamental and active child
Unlike a hyperactive toddler, just active children have these characteristics.
- Such children are prone to active types of games, but after that they definitely come to rest, they can calm down on their own.
- They sleep for the amount of time necessary for their age, there are no obvious problems with sleep.
- Such children easily wake up and fall asleep. This does not cause prolonged gratuitous crying.
- They easily master the meaning of the word “no”, having come into contact with danger at least once, they remember this contact and try not to repeat it.
- Such children, despite their activity, easily switch from hysterics to some more interesting subject for them.
- They show little or no aggression.
Psychology tips for developing perseverance in the process of child development
Perseverance and concentration is a fundamental part of the correct assimilation of new information. In the learning process, it is important not only to be able to concentrate on a particular subject, but also to be able to maintain this focus for the right amount of time. How to develop these properties in a child, we will talk further.
- The main thing is not to waste precious time. The sooner you take on child development, the more success you will achieve. It’s also important not to go too far. Seeing that your baby does not focus on any of the objects for a long time, do not rush to seat him at the table. Do not scold him if he turns his head in the wrong direction or is distracted. All psychological advice will lose its meaning, because the child will do it against his will, he will have a negative attitude towards this kind of business, as something guaranteed to be uninteresting.
- Take a holistic approach. From infancy, teach your baby to a certain routine in which there will be a place for quiet play and concentration. Do not leave him alone with the lesson, sort out interesting tasks with him.
- Change the format of classes over time, as the child may become uninteresting as they grow up. When the child reaches the age of 3 years, you can enter classes. Keep them in uniform. Start assignments when the baby is running around, is not hungry, healthy and does not want to sleep.
- Control the process and comment on what is happening. In the course of the lesson, to increase concentration on the topic, comment on your actions, ask the kid to tell about what he is doing, why he is doing it. The time of classes depends on the individual characteristics of the child.
- Think about what exactly you can do for your child. Take a closer look at him, see what directions he likes the most. Maybe there is some creativity in it? Or is he attracted to numbers and counting?
- Modeling with a constructor,
- Drawing with pencils, paints, crayons, etc.,
- Modeling from salt dough and plasticine,
- Collecting a puzzle or mosaic,
- Dominoes, Lotto, other board games,
- Making applications,
- For older people – solving puzzles, puzzles, embroidery.